At Flirt Urban Salon in San Diego, we have a lot of incredibly sweet and generous clients. When thinking about cutting their long locks for fresh, sassy, low-maintenance hairstyles, many of them ask how they can donate their hair to charity. Here are our tips on how and where to donate your hair in San Diego.
How to Prepare Your Hair for Donation:
- Take good care of your hair in the months leading up to donation with awesome products like the natural fibers of keratin. Use a wide-toothed comb when your hair is wet to avoid breakage.
- Most hair donation nonprofits prefer non chemically-treated hair, but some will accept treated hair in good condition.
- Each hair donation nonprofit has its own length requirements, so be sure you know what those are before you cut your hair (see the next section for details).
- If you have curly hair, pull it straight to make sure you measure the length accurately.
- Your hair can have layers, but the shortest layers have to be at least the minimum length required.
- Your hair must be clean and 100% dry. Wet hair will mold in shipping and will be thrown away.
- It usually takes 10 to 12 ponytails to make a wig. It’s best to tie your hair into at least four to six sections for cutting. When you have your hair in a single ponytail, you can lose up to 4 inches of hair.
- Make sure each ponytail or braid is tightly secured with rubber bands 2-3 inches apart. Hair that is loosely wrapped tends to become loose when shipped, making it unusable.
- Cut hair above the rubber band.
- Wrap all ponytails in one piece of tissue paper and seal in a ziplock bag.
- Mail hair in a sealed envelope or a small shipping box.
Where to Donate Hair: The Most Popular Nonprofits
It’s important for you to know that not all organizations provide free hair wigs. Locks of Love has come under some scrutiny because they don’t always give the wigs to patients for free. You should also understand that human hair wigs aren’t usually the first choice for people going through chemotherapy, because the wigs have to be made to order and can take up to 2 months to make (most cancer patients need a wig sooner than that). The majority of human hair wig donations go to people with long-term hair loss, such as people suffering from alopecia. Here are some of the top charities to donate your hair to:
- Length Minimum: 8 inches
- They provide human hair replacements at no cost to children and young adults facing medically-related hair loss due to cancer treatments, alopecia, trichotillomania, burns, etc.
- They will accept chemically treated hair in good condition.
- Gray hair accepted.
- Address: Children With Hair Loss / 12776 Dixie Hwy / S. Rockwood MI 48179
- Length Minimum: 8 inches
- Their free human-hair wigs go to women affected by hair loss from cancer.
- Hair cannot be more than 5% gray.
- No permed or treated hair with permanent color.
- Address: Pantene Beautiful Lengths / Attn: 192-123 / 806 SE 18th Ave / Grand Rapids MN 55744
- Length Minimum: 12 inches
- Provide Hair Replacement Systems and support for children who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, Alopecia, Trichotillomania, burns and other medical issues at no cost.
- Hair cannot be permed, color-treated, or highlighted.
- Temporary coloring or highlights that wash out are acceptable but must be completely washed out before cutting.
- Gray hair is accepted.
- Address: Wigs for Kids – Hair Donation / 24231 Center Ridge Rd. / Westlake OH 44145
- Length Minimum: 10 inches
- The wigs are not provided for free, but rather are charged on a sliding scale.
- Do accept hair that is colored or permed.
- Don’t accept bleached hair or dreadlocks.
- Do accept gray hair, but it is sold to offset manufacturing costs.
- Most recipients are children with long term hair loss.
- Address: Locks of Love / 234 Southern Blvd / West Palm Beach FL 33405-2701
Okay, this one needs a little explanation, because it’s not your typical hair donation charity. Matter of Trust’s Clean Wave program collects hair clippings, fur, and fleece donations to produce felted hair mats that help to clean contaminated waterways, storm drains, and oil spills. That’s because hair, fur, and fleece soak up oil extremely quickly. These hair mats are non-toxic to the environment, unlike typical petroleum based mats and booms. Super cool!
- Length Minimum: 3 inches
- Can be dyed, permed, gray etc.
- Does not need to be bundled in a ponytail or braid.
- They do not accept unsolicited deliveries.
- They will email you an address to ship to (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Watch this video to learn more.
Schedule Your Haircut at Flirt Urban Salon
If you’re going to be donating your hair in San Diego, treat yourself to a beautiful haircut. Going from long to short hair can be an emotional transition for a lot of women and the experienced hair stylists at Flirt Urban Salon will make sure you love your new look. Contact us at (619) 501-6890.Contact Us