Everyone knows UV rays can harm your skin, which is why sunscreen is always a good idea. However, not everyone realizes that the sun can also damage your hair. Since it’s pretty much sunny 365 days of the year in San Diego, we’ve created this guide on how to sun-proof your hair from UV damage and keep it hydrated and healthy.
Why Protect Your Hair from the Sun
If you feel the top of your head where your hair gets blasted with UV rays, you may notice that it feels coarser and drier than the soft hair underneath at the nape of your neck. That’s because UV rays break down the cuticles, which leads to dry, brittle hair that’s prone to breakage and frizz.
The sun can also discolor and fade your colored hair. If your hair is bleached, it’s even more prone to damage because the lightening process opens up the hair follicle, making hair more susceptible to oxidizing damage from UV exposure.
The good news is, our San Diego salon offers tons of great Bumble and bumble hair products that are UV protective in addition to these tips below:
Wear a Hat
This one is pretty obvious, but wearing a hat is our first line of defense against the sun. Choose a hat that covers all of your hair, or tuck longer locks underneath it.
Protect Your Scalp
When you wear your hair in a parted style, you’re exposing your skin to the sun’s harmful UV rays. A sun-damaged, dry scalp can often slow hair growth. Hats that fully cover your scalp are the best form of protection, but when you can’t wear a hat, try opting for a protective hairstyle without a part, like a slicked back ponytail or bun. If you do a parted hair style, apply a water-resistant spray-on sunscreen to your part line with at least SPF 30 protection.
Keep Hair Moisturized by Using Hair Masks
Moisturizing your hair is another important step in protecting it from the sun. Use oils, masks, and conditioner treatments to keep your hair hydrated. Some of our favorite hair masks include:
- Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Balm-to-Oil Pre-Shampoo Masque: This highly-concentrated balm helps to hydrate, soften, silken, detangle, and protect by using six transformative oils (CoconutOil, Argan Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, and Grapeseed Oil).
- While You Sleep Damage Repair Masque: The overnight masque is infused with Evening Primrose to help repair past wear-and-tear – and fortify against future damage.
Don’t Shampoo Every Day
The oil your hair naturally produces protects it from the sun, so try to avoid washing it every day. If your hair feels too greasy between washes, try a dry shampoo like Bumble and bumble’s Prêt-à-Powder, which is now available in a spray.
Use UV-Protective Hair Products
Bumble and bumble has a dreamy line of hair styling products that also offer UV protection. Some of our favorites from Bumble and bumble include:
- Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Primer: Infused with six featherlight oils, this primer helps de-frizz, tame unruly flyaways, and protect against breakage, heat-styling, and UV damage.
- Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil UV Protective Dry Oil Finishing Spray: The super-lightweight, UV-protective formula delivers radiance, softness, and frizz control – without deflating styles.
- Save the Day Daytime Protective Repair Fluid: The rich (but lightweight) concentrate is infused with Camelia Oil and UV
filters to help repair past wear-and-tear – and fortify against future damage.
- Surf Infusion: The conditioning formula leaves a touchable finish while UV filters help protect against the drying effects of the sun.
- Bb. Curl Pre-Style/Re-Style Primer: A multipurpose, UV protective, nourishing, and moisturizing hair primer that detangles and defines on day one and refreshes and restyles on day two and beyond.
- Don’t Blow It (Fine/Thick): Lightweight polymers enhance hair’s natural texture, adding bounce and airiness – with zero crunch. UV filters help protect against the drying effects of the sun.
- Prêt-à-powder Très Invisible Dry Shampoo: These new dry shampoo sprays offer an invisible, 2-in-1 style extender that cleanses and adds volume from roots to ends while also providing UV protection.
Consult a San Diego Stylist:
To learn more about about how to keep your hair healthy and protect it from the sun, contact the expert hair stylists at Flirt Urban Salon in San Diego. Our downtown salon offers the full line of Bumble and bumble products, including all of the UV-protective products mentioned above. We also offer free consultations. Contact us at (619) 501-6890.Contact Us